Join the VFW Today
- Availability of the expert help of State and National VFW Service Officers, as well as the Service Officer in your own Post, if you should need hospital care, educational, pension or other benefits for which you may wish to file a claim.
- VFW help in protecting existing veteran benefits that you now receive, or that you may be entitled to in the future, through the effort of our VFW National Legislative Service in Washington, D.C. and your own VFW State Legislative Committee.
- An opportunity to take an active part in your VFW Post’s patriotic, community service, and youth activity programs.
- An opportunity to become an officer of your Post, thereby developing your talents as a competent public speaker and respected civic leader in your community.
- Satisfaction in knowing that you are supporting an organization that fights for maximum defense and security of our country.
- Free admission of your children to the VFW National Home in Eaton Rapids, Michigan, in the event of your death, with complete assurance that they will have every opportunity to grow up as proud, healthy and educated citizens.
- Receiving the VFW Magazine and the Post newsletters/email updates, which keeps you informed on all matters pertaining to your status as a veteran and subjects close to your heart as a patriotic American.
- Multiple Insurance plans sponsored by the VFW including our $1,000 Personal Accident Protection offered to all VFW members in good standing.
- VFW Approved Prescription Drug and Vitamin (VFW BeneVets Card) Program.
- Newest Member Benefits – Discounted Merchandise and Buying Program and VFW Travel Services (Non-Insurance VFW Benefits).
- Social functions hosted by the Post or District. Activities for you as well as members of your family at a minimal cost.
- The feeling of true comradeship that exists only among veterans who served overseas in time of war.
- The opportunity for your spouse, child, grandchild, parent or sibling to join the VFW Auxiliary, which works hand-in-hand with Post members in all VFW functions and programs.
There are two qualifiers for membership in the VFW, as set out in our National Bylaws. An individual must meet both in order to become a member. They are as follows:
1. Honorable Service – must have served in the Armed Forces of the United States and either received a discharge of Honorable or General (Under Honorable Conditions) or be currently
2. Service in a war, campaign, or expedition on foreign soil or in hostile waters*. This can be proven by any of the following:
- An authorized campaign medal (see a full list of qualifying medals and badges)
- Receipt of Hostile Fire Pay or Imminent Danger Pay (verified by a military pay statement)
- Service in Korea for 30 consecutive or 60 non-consecutive days
*This information is usually available through a veteran’s DD-214. If other information is needed or if a veteran’s DD-214 is not complete, they can contact the National Personnel Records Center online or at 314.801.0800 to request more information.
More detailed information on VFW eligibility can be accessed here.
If you are not eligible for membership in the Veterans of Foreign Wars but you have a parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, sibling, or spouse who would be eligible then you may apply for membership in the VFW Auxiliary. You can learn more at vfwauxiliary.org.
Apply online through the National website here:
Benefits of Membership
The VFW appreciates your service, and so do patriotic businesses across the country. That's why we've teamed up to offer you - as a VFW member - and your family discounted pricing on valuable merchandise and services. It's just one more way we're able to say "thank you" for all you've done to protect our freedom!
here to see.
By becoming a VFW Life member, you make a
lifetime commitment to serving your fellow service members and veterans. That's
something to take great pride in.
You'll also enjoy many great benefits of being
a Life member!
- Avoid annual dues and renewals.
- Maintain your membership in any Post you
- Never pay an increase in dues—Guaranteed!
- Receive a 10% discount on exclusive VFW Store
merchandise for the first year.
You can become a VFW Life member by making a
one-time payment, or you can pay for your Life membership through our
installment plan with an initial $45 payment and the Life membership amount
billed over an 11-month period.